This is a reciprocal exchange relationship between SJSU and University of Porto. The program is open to students for Archaeology, Architecture, Art History, Astronomy, Biology, Biochemistry, Business Administration, Chemistry, Communications, Computer Science, Economics, Engineering (Mining, Geo-Environmental), Environmental Science, Geography, Geology, History, Information Science, International Relations, Nutrition & Food Science, Philosophy, Portuguese & Lusophone Studies, Psychology, Sociology, Sports Science, and World Languages.
- Earn SJSU resident credits for all completed courses.
- Pay your normal SJSU tuition and fees.
- Use your financial aid and apply for scholarships.
- Immerse yourself in Portuguese culture.
- Study for one semester or an academic year.
- Gain an advantage when applying for jobs and graduate school.
Porto is a hilly, lovely seaside town at the mouth of the Rio Douro. The city reflects a number of architectural and historical styles stretching from Roman ruins to the Renaissance to 20th century sprawl. Like many cities in Europe, there are narrow, medieval alleyways, Baroque churches, open plazas, and numerous cafes. The historic center of the Ribeira district is a UNESCO World Heritage zone that has winding lanes, zigzagging staircases and tiled churches. Though many residents have moved from the city center to the seaside suburban areas, a new wave of contemporary art, music and food has slipped back into the city, making it attractive to new generations of people.
University of Porto is the largest research and education institution in Portugal. The university’s three campuses reside within the city of Porto, offering 15 schools and 69 scientific research units to its nearly 31,000 students and 2,300 teachers. University of Porto is an institution sought after by the brightest young minds in the country, and offers many opportunities for academic and personal growth.
- be enrolled as an SJSU student for one semester prior to departure, or be a California community college student eligible to enter SJSU by the semester of departure
- have completed lower division requirements for your intended field of study
- have Sophomore, Junior or Senior standing by the semester of departure
- have a cumulative GPA of 2.75 or higher
Students are permitted to enroll in any classes in which they are qualified. Almost all subjects are taught in Portuguese, with only with the occasional option of taking exams and submitting papers in English. Only those proficient in Portuguese should consider applying for this program.
- Art History
- Business Administration
- Computer Science
- Engineering (Mining, Geo-Environmental)
- Environmental Science
- Information Science
- International Relations
- Nutrition & Food Science
- Portuguese & Lusophone Studies
- Sports Science
- World Languages
Students are responsible for finding and applying for their own housing accommodations. The International Relations Office (SRI) may assist students in finding on-campus housing in University halls of residence, but students must apply for housing by the stated deadlines. University of Porto staff can also assist students in finding appropriate off-campus housing in a shared flat or with a family, but students must request assistance, and are ultimately responsible for finding, securing, and paying for their accommodations. Information about accommodation can be found here
Fall semester: September - February
Spring semester: February - July
BUDGETING FOR YOUR SEMESTER
**These costs are current as of 2018–19. These are estimated costs for the whole semester. Consult the Bursar’s Office for up-to-date information on tuition and fees. Personal expenses do vary between students: those who eat out at restaurants or plan to travel frequently should estimate higher.
* Health Insurance: All outgoing exchange students are required to purchase the SJSU-approved University health insurance plan through JCB Insurance Services.
- SJSU Tuition & Fees: $3,900.00
- Round Trip Transportation: $1,500.00
- Room & Meals: $5,000.00
- Books & Supplies: $300.00
- Insurance: $350.00*
- Personal Expenses: $2,000.00
- Total $13,050.00
FINANCING YOUR SEMESTER
Students who are participating in certified SJSU study abroad programs can use all of the financial aid including grants, scholarships, and loans (except work study) for which they are normally qualified. For more information click Here
Scholarships: Scholarships for study abroad come in many forms: SJSU Study Abroad Scholarships, Program Specific, National and International scholarships. Find links for these scholarships and online scholarship search engines by clicking Here