For an international student, Finland is both an exotic and safe target country. They have one of the most advanced educational systems in the world, and as a result of our innovative mind-set and investment in education, they enjoy a high standard of living and quality of life. Experience crisp white winters and long spring/summer days in Jyväskylä, Finland! Every 4th person that you pass in Jyväskylä is a student. The city is very dynamic. Be sure to check out their sports and cultural activities, not to mention restaurants and cafés. Outside of Jyväskylä's lively urban centre you will find a city full of nature that is situated between lakes, hills, and surrounding forrest. Finland as a whole is knwon as "the land of saunas and thousand lakes" and "the land of the midnight sun". Finland is also situated for easy travel to neighboring countries such as Russia, Sweden, Estonia, ect. Paris and London are even just a quick 4 hour flight away.
At JAMK University of Applied Sciences there are more than 8,500 students from over 70 countries. The facilities at JAMK are nicely designed with high technology and classrooms are cosy with a relaxed atmosphere. Our international students report that the teaching is excellent and our staff is very supportive. JAMK offers a good foundation for those who want to be entrepreneurs. Every year 20 new companies are founded at JAMK. JAMK offers modern learning environments, skilled personnel and excellent student services. JAMK received the Erasmus Award for Excellence 2013.
- be enrolled as an SJSU student for one semester prior to departure, or be a California community college student eligible to enter SJSU by the semester of departure,
- have Sophomore, Junior or Senior standing by the semester of departure,
- have a cumulative GPA of 2.75 or higher.
- there is no language requirement
JAMK University of Applied Sciences offers a variety of different fields of study for exchange students to choose from. All the courses offered for exchange students are taught in English!
The courses exchange students participate in are part of our curricula for degree students so there's usually a good mix of degree students and exchange students from all over the world in each class. Please keep in mind that the number of courses on offer will continue to grow until the end of March/October.
For information on selecting courses please read: JAMK's Study Programmes and Course Offerings and Selection Guide
- International Business
- Business Administration
- Tourism & Hospitality
- Sports Management
- Mechanical Engineering
- Civil Engineering
- Information and Communications Technology
- Logistics Engineering Management
- Industrial Engineering
- Social Work
- Occupational Thearpy
- Health Administration
- Electrical Engineering
- Foreign Languages (Spanish, French, Russian, German, Finnish)
- Tutors: Tutoring is provide new students provide guidance in practical matters, e.g. housing, academics, student services, permits and getting adjusted to a new culture and country.
- Friend Family Programme brings international students together with Finnish families, introducing students to Finnish culture.
- Cultural Excursions: While studying at JAMK, students have a great opportunity to take part in various cultural and social activities in Jyväskylä, Finland and the neighbouring countries. For example, it’s easy to travel to Russia, Sweden, Estonia, or parts of Finland such as Lapland. JAMKO, arranges trips and activities throughout the year. This is a great opportunity to study, travel and gain new experiences, both cultural and work related, while making many international friends and memories to last for a lifetime!
- JAMKO International Club: organizes culturally oriented events, travels, tours and parties for students. These events add some spice to the Finnish students' event calendars and bring great experiences to exchange students as well. Foreign students get to see Finland at its best and Finnish students get a chance to internationalize and practice their language skills while having a good time.
- JAMKO Leisure Activities & Sports: provides a broad range of leisure activities. Events range from outdoor sports events to relaxed evening get-togethers and large student parties. Many of the events have an international twist. JAMKO also organizes sporty and active events and negotiates benefits from sports services. JAMKO’s partner Academic Sports offers a broader selection of sports, group fitness classes and ball game shifts.
There are many options for housing but the most economical option is applying for housing through KOAS (student housing). Student accommodation is provided by the Central Finland Student Housing Foundation KOAS. Some cell apartments are furnished (bed, mattress, desk, chair, a kitchen table and chairs). The rents are very reasonable and include water, electricity and free laundry facilities. Read more from www.koas.fi.
For more information on all types of accommodations: JAMK Housing Guide
Fall Semester – Late August – Late December
Spring Semester – Early January - Mid-May (Exception: School of Business Early Feb – Late June)
BUDGETING FOR YOUR SEMESTER
**These costs are current as of 2018–19. These are estimated costs for the whole semester. Consult the Bursar’s Office for up-to-date information on tuition and fees. Personal expenses do vary between students: those who eat out at restaurants or plan to travel frequently should estimate higher.
*Health Insurance: All outgoing exchange students are required to purchase the SJSU-approved University health insurance plan through JCB Insurance Services.
- SJSU Tuition & Fees: $3,900.00
- Round Trip Transportation: $1,000.00
- Single Room & Meals: $3,000.00
- Books & Supplies: $150.00
- Insurance: $350.00*
- Personal Expenses: $1,000.00
- Total $9,400.00
FINANCING YOUR SEMESTER
Students who are participating in certified SJSU study abroad programs can use all of the financial aid including grants, scholarships, and loans (except work study) for which they are normally qualified. For more information Click Here
Scholarships for study abroad come in many forms: SJSU Study Abroad Scholarships, Program Specific, National and International scholarships. Find links for these scholarships and online scholarship search engines by Clicking Here.