Programs > Brochure
Bangkok, Thailand (Exchange Program) (Outgoing Program)
|Homepage:||Click to visit|
|Restrictions:||SJSU applicants only|
|Dates / Deadlines:|
|Term||Year||App Deadline||Decision Date||Start Date||End Date|
|Fall||2019||03/01/2019 **||Rolling Admission||TBA||TBA|
|Academic Year||2019-2020||03/01/2019 **||Rolling Admission||TBA||TBA|
** Indicates rolling admission application process. Applicants will be immediately notified of acceptance into this program and be able to complete post-decision materials prior to the term's application deadline.
|Program Type:||SJSU Bilateral Exchange||Class Eligibility:||Junior, Senior, Sophomore|
|Language of Instruction:||English||Language Requirement:||None|
|Housing Options:||Apartment, Off Campus, On-Campus Housing||GPA Requirement:||2.75|
|Eligible Majors & Concentrations:||Accounting, Business, College of Business, Economics, Entrepreneurship, Finance, Human Resource Management, Information Systems, International Business, Management, Marketing, Statistics||How competitive is admission to this program?:||Somewhat Competitive|
This is a reciprocal exchange relationship between SJSU and Chulalongkorn University's Business School.
- Take courses in English
- Earn SJSU resident credits for all completed courses.
- Pay your normal SJSU tuition and fees.
- Use your financial aid and apply for scholarships.
- Immerse yourself in Thai culture
- Study for one semester or an academic year.
- Gain an advantage when applying for jobs and graduate school.
Thailand is located in Southeast Asia and has a population of approximately 63 million people. Bangkok is the state capital and a bustling city with a population of approximately six million people. Bangkok is located in central Thailand along the Chao Phraya River, near the northern tip of the Gulf of Thailand. Westernized in its comforts, yet retaining many ancient features, it is a lively mixture of the old and the new, the East and the West.
The university was founded in 1917 by King Vajiravudh (Rama VI) and was named after his father King Chulalongkorn (Rama V). The campus is located on 500 acres in the center of Bangkok, near the major business and financial district. Chulalongkorn University, or Chula for short, has eighteen faculties, a graduate school, eleven research institutes, three teaching institutes, and four affiliated institutions with more than 2,800 faculty members.
The Business Administration International Program was established in 1996 and is part of the Faculty of Commerce and Accountancy. It is the first undergraduate level program at Chula that is taught entirely in English. The faculty members are drawn from a select group of Thai professors, visiting lecturers from various countries and prominent local business executives. The program focuses on understanding the development of Asian economies, international trade and the diversity of cultures. Admission into the program for Thai students is competitive. Students are highly motivated and enthusiastic, which makes for a rewarding learning experience. The program is rigorously selective and designed to provide students with academic and professional "business tools." Chulalongkorn University, as well as its BBA International Program, is consistently ranked as one of the best undergraduate and business programs in Thailand.
- be enrolled as an SJSU student for one semester prior to departure, or be a California community college student eligible to enter SJSU by the semester of departure,
- have Sophomore, Junior or Senior standing by the semester of departure,
- have a cumulative GPA of 2.75 or higher.
- there is no language requirement
The academic calendar consists of two sixteen-week semesters. Units and grading are based on the U.S. system. The class grades are usually based entirely on the final examination. A minimum of eighty percent class attendance is required in order to take the final exam. Since class the schedule is not ready to announce until 1 month prior to the start of the semester, students are suggested to choose several back up courses to avoid any conflict in the future. Students are allowed to take course outside the Business School according to the regulations; however, only one course is allowed. Students can take business courses in the following fields:
- Business Administration
- International Business Administration
- Information Systems
- Human Resource Management
- Business Law
- For more information on courses Click Here
SJSU Professor Howard Combs has taught in the International Program at Chulalongkorn and is willing to speak to any interested students.
THAI LANGUAGE COURSES
CBS does not offer formal Thai language courses. However, Thai students will normally arrange some sessions in the first 2 months to teach international students some basic Thai for daily life for free of charge. Students can sign up for participation. Also, students are recommended to take additional Thai language courses from outside the University.
Students may participate in internships with multinational corporations and enterprises in Thailand. Students are responsible for researching and contacting companies themselves in regards to possible internships. Students are suggested to contact the Chamber of commerce in Thailand or the Embassy for more resources.
Chulalonkorn University offers their students many opportunities to become involved on campus:
- Student Academic Clubs: Buddhism and Traditions, Religious Studies, Mind Study, Creation and Design, Debates, Public Speaking, and Human Relations, Literary Club, Foreign Relations, CU Comp, and AIESEC
- Student Sports Clubs: Takraw (rattan ball game), Athletics, Shooting, Judo, Boxing, Aquatic Sports, Volleyball, Table Tennis, Softball, Tennis, Jockey, Football, Fencing, Badminton, Rugby, Basketball, Bridge and Chess, Petong, Karate, Tekwando, and Rhythmic Dance
- Student Clubs for Arts and Culture: Thai Classical Music, Chorus, Photography, Lanna Arts and Culture CU Band, Thai Classical Dance and Dramatic Arts, Northeastern Arts and Culture, Traditional Thai Weapons and Martial Arts
- Student Clubs for Community Development and Public Good: Voluntary Work Camp for Students, Hill Tribe Development Volunteers, Conservation, Blood Donation and Social Welfare, CU Community Work, Southern Students
There are options for student housing on or near the campus. Normally, students who arrive early will stay at the hotel prior to moving to the apartment where the BBA Office has a corporate rate. The BBA shall make a reservation for these places and provide information about accommodations upon request via email.
Other options include: Vidhhayanives which is an on-campus dorm with single or double rooms that are fully furnished with telephones, air-conditioning, a refrigerator and a TV. The SASA International House is located on-campus with the choice of a single or double room, with a private bathroom. The Suksit Nives International House is located 10 minutes from the campus and has single or double rooms, with or without a bathroom. For more information Click Here.
Fall Semester August-December
Spring Semester January-May
BUDGETING FOR YOUR SEMESTER
**These costs are current as of 2018–19. These are estimated costs for the whole semester. Consult the Bursar’s Office for up-to-date information on tuition and fees. Personal expenses do vary between students: those who eat out at restaurants or plan to travel frequently should estimate higher.
- SJSU Tuition & Fees $3,898.00
- Round Trip Transportation $1,300.00
- Single Room & Meals $2,600.00
- Books & Supplies $150.00
- Insurance $350.00*
- Personal Expenses $2,000.00
- Total $10,298.00
FINANCING YOUR SEMESTER
Financial Aid: Students who are participating in certified SJSU study abroad programs can use all of the financial aid including grants, scholarships, and loans (except work study) for which they are normally qualified. For more information Click Here.
Scholarships: Scholarships for study abroad come in many forms: SJSU Study Abroad Scholarships, Program Specific, National and International scholarships. Find links for these scholarships and online scholarship search engines by Clicking Here.