Programs > Brochure
Royal Melbourne Institute of Technology (RMIT)
Melbourne, Australia (Exchange Program) (Outgoing Program)
|Restrictions:||SJSU applicants only|
|Dates / Deadlines:|
|Term||Year||App Deadline||Decision Date||Start Date||End Date|
|Program Type:||SJSU Bilateral Exchange||Class Eligibility:||Graduate Student, Junior, Senior, Sophomore|
|Language of Instruction:||English||Language Requirement:||None|
|Housing Options:||On-Campus Housing||GPA Requirement:||2.75|
|Internship Option Available:||No||Eligible Majors & Concentrations:||Accounting, Advertising, Aerospace Engineering, All Majors (some restrictions), Analytics, Animation Illustration, Architecture, Art History, Aviation, Biological Sciences, Biomedical Engineering, Business, Chemical Engineering, Chemistry, Chinese, Civil Engineering, College of Applied Arts and Sciences, College of Business, College of Education, College of Engineering, College of Humanities and Arts, College of Science, College of Social Science, Communications, Computer Engineering, Computer Science, Design, Economics, Education, Electrical Engineering, Engineering, Engineering Management, Entrepreneurship, Environmental Studies, Film and TV, Finance, French, Geology, Global Studies, Graphic Design, Hospitality, Information Systems, International Business, Japanese, Justice Studies, Kinesiology, Management, Manufacturing, Marketing, Mechanical Engineering, Music, Nursing, Nutrition Science, Photography, Physics, Psychology, Social Work, Software Engineering, Spanish, Statistics, Urban Planning|
|How competitive is admission to this program?:||Mildly Competitive|
- Earn SJSU resident credits for all completed courses.
- Pay your normal SJSU tuition and fees.
- Use your financial aid and apply for scholarships.
- Immerse yourself in Australian culture.
- Study for one semester or an academic year.
- Gain an advantage when applying for jobs and graduate school.
Melbourne has almost 4 million residents from over 140 nations and is home to around 50,000 international students. Melbourne is characterized by its maze of hidden laneways and eclectic eateries, art and fashion. The main RMIT campus is located in Melbourne. It is an urban campus surrounded by cafes, student restaurants and recreation facilities. Melbourne is a diverse, multicultural city with a great variety of entertainment, ranging from cultural events (Comedy, Film and Fashion festivals), sporting events (Formula 1, Australian Open Tennis) to fantastic live music and thumping all-night dance venues.
One of Australia’s “original and leading educational institutions,” the Royal Melbourne Institute of Technology produces some of Australia’s most employable graduates. As an innovative, global university of technology, with its “heart in the city of Melbourne,” RMIT has an international reputation for excellence in work-relevant education and high quality research, and “engagement with the needs of industry” and community.
Established in 1887, RMIT is a dynamic university of technology with several campuses based around Melbourne. Expert teachers, excellent facilities, and the latest technology equipment help students gain the most from the large range of academic programs. Many RMIT academics are leaders in their industry, allowing students to gain insight into the latest developments in their chosen field.
RMIT is a highly internationalized university with over 8,000 international students from more than 100 countries. Overseas students are actively supported with a large range of support services, student organizations, and activities. Total enrollment: 56,000 students.
- be enrolled as an SJSU student for one semester prior to departure or be a California community college student eligible to enter SJSU by the semester of departure,
- have completed lower division requirements for your intended field of study,
- have Sophomore, Junior or Senior standing by the semester of departure,
- have a cumulative GPA of 2.75 or higher.
You can design your exchange or study abroad program by selecting courses from across RMIT’s extensive range of disciplines as long as you have the equivalent prerequisites from your home institution.
There are also courses offered exclusively to exchange and study abroad students that give an insight into Australian culture and society. To learn more information about RMIT's courses Click Here. Be sure to read through the information outlined in this link as some courses have additional eligibility requirements.
- Art, Design & Architecture: Animation, Architecture, Design Innovation & Technology, Fashion & Textiles, Fine & Visual Art, Games & Interactive Media, Graphic & Communication Design, Industrial Furniture & Product Design, Interior Design, Landscape Architecture, Merchandising, Photography, and Urban Design
- Business: Accounting, Economics & Finance, Engineering Management, Entrepreneurship, Information Systems, International Business, Management, Business & Administration, Marketing & Advertising, Merchandising, Statistics & Analytics, and Supply Chain & Logistics
- Communication & Digital Media: Communication & Writing, Games & Interactive Media, Marketing & Advertising, Music & Audiovisual, and Screen & Media
- Computing, games, and Information Technology: Computer Engineering, Computer Science, Games & Interactive Media, Information & Security, Information Systems, Information Technology, and Software Engineering
- Education: Career Education, Health & Physical Education, Teacher Education, and Training & Assessment
- Engineering: Aerospace Engineering & Aviation, Biomedical Engineering, Chemical Engineering, Civil Engineering, Computer Engineering, Electrical & Electronic Engineering, Engineering Management, Environmental & Sustainable Engineering, Mechanical & Automotive Engineering, Mechatronics & Manufacturing Systems, Sports Science, and Surveying & Geospatial Science
- Environment & Sustainability: Conservation & Land Management, Environment & Planning, Environmental & Sustainable Engineering, Environmental Science, Surveying & Geospatial Sciences, and Sustainable Practices
- Health & Medical Sciences: Biomedical Sciences, Community Services, Complementary Medicine, Dental Studies, Medical Radiations, Nursing & Allied Health, Optical Dispensing, Pharmacy, Psychology, Social Work, Sports Science, and Workplace Health & Safety
- International & Community Services: Community Services, International Studies, Languages, Translating, & Interpreting, Psychology, Public Policy, and Social Work
- Justice & Legal: Justice and Legal Administration & Policy
- Science: Applied Science, Biotechnology & Biological Sciences, Chemistry, Environmental Science, Food Science & Technology, Medical Sciences, Nanotechnology, Physics, Sports Science, Statistics & Analytics, and Surveying & Geospatial Sciences
When you study at RMIT you’re part of a vibrant and welcoming university filled with social, cultural, sporting and recreation activities - there are endless ways to get involved. As a student you'll have instant access to a huge range of activities and programs. Make the most of your time at RMIT.
Join a club: RMIT has over 100 student clubs, societies and collectives to choose from. Clubs are a great way to meet new friends, develop new skills and connect with people who share your interests. You can even start your own club. Whether you’re into music, arts and culture, politics, sports, academic pursuits or just relaxing with your new friends - there’s sure to be a club for you.
Activities and events: RMIT Link runs regular programs and events on, and around, every campus throughout semester. Experience Melbourne with a walking tour, see a movie between classes, discover new bands or represent RMIT at a community event. If you want explore further afield, we offer group Trips and tours led by fully trained student volunteers to destinations such as The Great Ocean Road, Wilsons Promontory and the Phillip Island Penguin Parade.
Expand your creativity: RMIT offers and extensive Arts and culture program connects you with theatre, dance, music, visual arts, design, film, sound, writing and new media. RMIT’s galleries and performance spaces bring students from all disciplines together to explore and showcase their creative work.
Sport and fitness: At the Melbourne City campus, RMIT City Fitness offers a fully-equipped gym with a range of fitness programs and activities, and at the Bundoora campus, RMIT Sports Centre has a wide range of facilities including multi-purpose courts and a fully-equipped gym.
Build your leadership skills – Volunteer: Develop new skills and knowledge, forge friendships, contribute to your RMIT community and boost your career prospects through one of our leadership and volunteering opportunities. You can mentor a student, run a club or society, lead a community project or volunteer your time at an RMIT event.
Spring Semester: February –June
Fall Semester: July–November
While RMIT does not offer on-campus accommodation at all of its campuses, it has an extensive range of recommended off-campus accommodation, including RMIT Bundoora campus housing, Student Hostels, Student Apartments off campus, and homestays. The RMIT Housing Advisory Service can assist new students with a range of options. For more information on Accommodations.
Student hostels in Australia are quite different then hostels you will find traveling around the world. They are a popular accommodation option for interstate and international students because they are usually located near to campuses and offer a social atmosphere through organized social activities for residents. Some hostels offer meal plans, others provide kitchen facilities for self-catering. Communal areas commonly include lounge, bathroom, kitchen and laundry facilities. Utilities such as gas and electricity are often included in the overall cost. For more information on Student Hostels
BUDGETING FOR YOUR SEMESTER
**These costs are current as of 2016–17. These are estimated costs for the whole semester. Consult the Bursar’s Office for up-to-date information on tuition and fees. Personal expenses do vary between students: those who eat out at restaurants or plan to travel frequently should estimate higher.
- SJSU Tuition & Fees: 3,709.00
- Round Trip Transportation: 1,300.00
- Room & Meals: $6,000
- Books & Supplies: 300.00
- Insurance: $550.00 (**SJSU & OSHC Required Insurances)
- Personal Expenses 2,500.00
- Total $14,359.00
FINANCING YOUR SEMESTER
Financial Aid: Students who are participating in certified SJSU study abroad programs can use all of the financial aid including grants, scholarships, and loans (except work study) for which they are normally qualified. For more information click here.
Scholarships: Scholarships for study abroad come in many forms: SJSU Study Abroad Scholarships, Program Specific, National and International scholarships. Find links for these scholarships and online scholarship search engines by clicking here.